Avocados Are Awesome!
Avocados are one of my favourite foods, they are packed full of nutrition and taste great. Here are six healthy reasons to add avocado to your diet!
- Avocados help you get the right balance of cholesterol, reducing “bad” cholesterol and increasing “good” heart healthy cholesterol.
- Avocados contain fibre, feeding your digestive system’s friendly gut bacteria and helping you to stay regular.
- Avocados contain vitamin C, vitamin E, lutein and zeaxanthin; all antioxidants that have many health benefits including heart health, skin health, eye health and a healthy immune system.
- Avocados contain potassium, which is a mineral that is important for reducing your blood pressure.
- Avocados contain folate, a very important B vitamin which is essential before and during pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida.
- The healthy fats in avocado help you to absorb important nutrients from other foods too, fat is required to absorb vitamins A, D, E and K. Fat is also full of flavour and is what allows you to feel satisfied when you eat, preventing overeating. Fat also keeps hunger at bay for hours after your meal.
And of course who doesn’t love guacamole! One of my favourite easy five-minute recipes is to mash an avocado, squeeze some fresh lemon on it and add some finely diced Spanish onion and garlic with a generous amount of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil until you like the taste and consistency. Cut up some raw veggies, I use carrot, broccoli, cucumber and cauliflower and dip them into the avocado – yum!
The smashed avocado breakfast is one of my favourite meals at Nutrition Station.
Fiona Kane, Nutritionist, Informed Health Nutritional Wellbeing Centre