How to Make Healthy Choices When It Comes To Carbs
Since the introduction of carb-cutting diets, there is a lot of controversy about how going on a carb-diet can help you lose weight. If you’re just interested in maintaining a healthier diet or you are a person trying to lose weight, then here is some things you should know.
Firstly, Carbohydrates are an essential part of our lives because they can be found in almost everything! Our bodies need carbs to fuel our tissues and organs in the body. Glucose is one of the main substances found in carbs and it our only source of fuel for our red blood cells.
So what exactly is carbs? carbohydrates are molecules that contain carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Carb is referred to as one of the three macronutrients, the other two is protein and fat.
It can be split into three categories: Sugar, Starches and Fibre.
Carb-diets are good for three reasons
- They can reduce your appetite and make you eat less calories
- Lower your blood sugar and blood pressure
- Low-carb diets can help lead to weight loss.
In order to create a successful carb-diet you need to eat the right carbs.This means removing unhealthy carbs from your diet. These include:
- Whole Wheat
- Or anything with added sugars
Carbs you should eat include:
- Fruit – Fruit is great because it contains many Vitamins, minerals and dietary Fibre
- Vegetables including sprouts, celery, mushrooms,cabbage,avocado, broccoli, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes,pumpkin,carrots and corn are all great examples.
- Sweet potato- contains vitamin A, fiber and potassium
- Grains including brown rice and oats – they help maintain optimum health due to the phytochemicals they contain
A low-carb diet isn’t just about weight loss, but will help you to develop and maintain a healthier lifestyle.