Spring is on the way, start your spring clean now!
- We are now in the last month of winter, a good time to take stock and notice what has happened to your health over winter. Some good questions to ask yourself:
- Have your habits changed for the worse?
- Are you eating more comfort foods than usual?
- Are you still moving or have you become sedentary?
- Do your summer clothes still fit you?
- Have you put on a few kg over winter?
- Are you looking after yourself?
If your answer is yes to any of these questions, now is the time to put your good habits back in place so you don’t veer off course any more this winter!
Choose 1 or 2 good habits to start again each week until you get yourself back on course. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water – it is very common for people to be dehydrated in winter, they just don’t remember or don’t feel like drinking water!
Start increasing your vegetable intake, at this time of year, meat and vegie stews or soups is a great way to nourish yourself and you can get such a variety of vegies into a stew. Carrots, broccoli, pumpkin, celery, onions and leeks are all in season. You can make a big batch and freeze it for the week ahead.
Also start having some lovely herbal teas and less caffeinated drinks. Peppermint, chamomile and rooibos are good choices.
There is no time like the present to get your health back on track!
Fiona Kane, Nutritionist, Informed Health Nutritional Wellbeing Centre